svg step 1

Step 1 Draft the By-Law

Using DIY By-Laws you can easily add your lot details, select what areas you are renovating and attach the relevant plans to create a by-law and motion instantly! Your by-law will describe any impact there may be to common property (for example, waterproofing in bathroom, moving plumbing or external walls).

svg step 2

Step 2 Before the Meeting

You will now need to give your draft by-law and consent form to your strata manager to be included in the agenda for the next annual general meeting. If there is not one coming up anytime soon, ask your strata manager the fee to call a meeting.

svg step 3

Step 3 The Agenda

The strata manager will attach your motion to the agenda and be sent out to owners in your strata scheme 21 days before the meeting.

Make sure you have also given your consent form to the strata manager before the meeting.

svg step 4

Step 4 The General Meeting

Your motion will be discussed at the AGM and details will be reviewed. Then a vote will be taken by all owners attending (and via proxy) the AGM on your motion. This will be specially resolved and you will get approval or could be asked to provide changes or more detail. A majority vote will get this approved.

svg step 5

Step 5 Consolidation

Once this has been resolved, the new by-law needs to be added to full list of by-laws, thereby consolidating the new one with the existing by-laws.


DIY By-Laws can assist you with this step too!

svg step 6

Step 6 Registration

The new by-law must be registered with Land Registry Services within 6 months.

A lawyer, your strata manager or DIY By-Laws can also assist you with this step.

svg step 7

Step 7 Start Your Renovation!

Now that you have completed all the necessary steps you can start your renovations.


← Back to all articles

Does an owners corporation need to consent to a DA?

Categories: Approval

If you are planning renovations to your strata unit, you may need to complete a development application (“DA”) to obtain local council approval.

You may also need the owners corporation of your strata scheme to consent to your DA.

When is consent not required?

If your renovations are all within the boundaries of your lot and do not affect common property, your application will not require consent from your owners corporation.

When is consent required?

If your renovations will penetrate into the common property of your strata scheme, your owners corporation will need to consent to your DA before approval will be granted by council.

You will not necessarily need to obtain the consent your owners corporation before your development application can be lodged.

How do I know whether my works impact common property?

Whether or not renovation works actually penetrate into common property can be a grey area, and will depend on the circumstances of your planned renovations.

Do the owners corporation have to consent to my DA?

This will depend on a number of factors, including any concerns your owners corporation may have with your proposed renovations.

Your owners corporation do have to consider your request for its consent to your DA. Considering such requests is one of the functions of an owners corporation.

Can I get a court order for strata approval of my DA?

You may apply for an order from the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (“NCAT”) to settle a dispute between yourself and your owners corporation if the following occurs:

  • your owners corporation does not consider your application; or
  • your owners corporation fails to provide its consent after considering your application at a general meeting or strata committee meeting.

If you apply for an order, NCAT will consider the following factors when determining whether to make an order:

  • the interests of all lots in your strata scheme;
  • how your renovations will impact the use and enjoyment of lot property within the strata scheme; and
  • how your renovations will impact the use and enjoyment of common property within the strata scheme.

If you are unsure as to whether your renovations will penetrate into common property, Bannermans can assist with providing legal advice to you that will assist you to communicate with your owners corporation.

Contact us

Please reach out for any reason at all. Our friendly staff are ready to help.

Postal address

PO Box 514

T (02) 9929 0226
F (02) 8920 2427

ABOUT US: DIY By-Laws is a division of leading strata law firm, Bannermans Lawyers. We are an innovative law firm, constantly striving to develop and create solutions for our clients and our industry and this platform is part of our vision to deliver digital legal services to the Australian property and strata industries.

Liability limited by a scheme approved under professional standards legislation.
© 2024 BANNERMANS LAWYERS | All rights reserved